Crinkled Oranges

Sunday, December 13, 2009

We had

planned to go to Salt Lake this afternoon for a dinner with my Hall family cousins.  This is a tradition we've had for more than 30 years.  Usually it is planned for the 26th of December, but this year the family sponsoring it couldn't have it on that date so they planned it for today.

My grandparents, Edward Owen and Pearl Averett Hall had 6 daughters (one who died in infancy).  At best count, without looking it up, there were 25 grandchildren born to them (of which I am one.)  So, this party includes any cousins living in the Utah area and their spouses.  Sometimes there have been up to 35 people there, and it is always a wonderful time to visit with them. 

But, the weather being what it is today, it was cancelled this afternoon.  We came home from church a little early so we could drive up, but there was a message on the phone.  I was relieved that we didn't have to travel in the snowy weather, but I was looking forward to seeing everyone.

What I did do was very promptly put on my Christmas pajamas and warm socks.  With the unexpected free time, I've been working to get my Christmas cards all stamped and sealed.  My computer ink is running low, so some of the pictures on the newsletter are pretty dark but I printed them anyway.  If I wait until I go buy more ink, I will run out of time.

Which brings me to a question.  Why, when I know I'm going to be sending out Christmas cards, do I delay getting my addresses up to date (Gary spent all day yesterday setting them up in a spreadsheet for me), printing them, and attaching the labels and stamps?    Why do I wait so long that I don't have time to write personal notes, which is something I think is important?   

I once heard of someone who, when they thought of something they wanted to thank someone for or had a remembrance of them, they wrote a little note to them on a slip of paper.  Then at Christmas, when he sent out his cards, he included that note.  

A good idea, I think. 
Something I would feel very good about doing. 
Something to consider, anyway.

No comments: