Crinkled Oranges

Sunday, November 22, 2020

A Good Perfect Storm "of Sorts"




Lately I have been following and reading much information about documenting.  Documenting my life and the lives of those I love.  I’ve done some of that – diaries, journals, a blog, some history.  But the nudge has been for me to do something more.

 I ran across Becky Higgins #mymodernstory on Instagram.  She makes it easy with a template. Write a few feelings, add some photos. It doesn’t have to be perfect.  So, a week ago I tried it and wrote about my experience with hearing.  I shared it with Gary and with our daughters.

When I heard that President Nelson was giving a devotional at 11 am Thursday, I really wanted to listen.  So, I set an alarm to remind me to tune in. 

 

Yesterday, after dropping my grandson and his wife off at the airport, I stopped by my favorite store to visit when I am in Salt Lake.  Orson Gygi’s.  For me that is like being a kid in a candy store.  (All those kitchen gadgets, and baking supplies, and cute décor, well what can be better?)

So that was where I was when my alarm went off.  I quickly made my way to the checkout so I could listen in the car.  There in the parking lot, I listened to this inspired man, with tears streaming down my face.  And then I listened again, with resolve.

 

So why is this a “Perfect Storm” (of sorts). 

1) Because, here was a man, who I know to be a Prophet, and who I am so grateful for, asking us to flood social media for 7 days about feelings of gratitude. 

2) I had the #mymodernstory about my hearing right there on my phone, and it was about gratitude.  So I took courage and posted it on Facebook and Instagram.

Now, I am not diligent at doing all the good things I should be doing.  But this is something I could so.  I could continue to respond to the nudge with #mymodernstory, and I could follow the President Nelson’s suggestion to flood social media with gratitude for 7 days.

Another little side blessing. This morning Gary looked at my receipt from Orson Gygi’s and asked, so how much did you spend there? I didn’t tell Gary this, but he, too, needs to be grateful to President Nelson for cutting my shopping time in half.