Crinkled Oranges

Friday, June 19, 2009

Edgemont

The area in Provo where we live is known as Edgemont. When I lived in the "tree streets" on Cedar Avenue growing up, Edgemont seemed such a long way out that it was like a different town.

Ironically, when I was in high school, I had a friend who lived in the house just west of this home that we've lived in for 24 years. I have a recollection of being at her home and remember that it was the last one on this side of the block. Our house wasn't built until 1972 and my friend moved out of that house before that time. I've always found it interesting that the image of the vacant lot stayed in my mind, particularly because my memory of past events and details is just not that great. I like to think I must have had some sort of feeling in my heart about the land without knowing why.

All of this reminiscing tonight came about because of a conversation I just had with two friends in the ward. Our Cub Scout troop is hosting a garage sale tomorrow and I told Gary it would be a good time for him to clean out his closet. He did a great job of it, too -- two very heavy garbage bags full, in fact. Don't you just feel lighter already, dear?

So while delivering the goods to her house, another neighbor, Lynn (a wonderful blogger friend) came by and we chatted for a while. Donna, the scout leader, said that she loved this
Edgemont area and that it is much slower paced than the "tree streets" where they had lived before. We all agreed that we do love the area and our neighbors.

In the process of our conversations, Lynn commented that she probably wouldn't blog tonight as she was too tired. I said that I had to, but it would probably be a one-liner (HA). She suggested that if I even have a picture on my camera that I could just post that. She knows
bloggers that have "Wordless Wednesdays," every week and they just post a picture with no words. I like that idea.

So what is all this leading up to? Well, the picture that I have on my camera that I took earlier this month with the idea of telling about it is this:

If you can't read the bottom line on the back, it says
c. 1924 The G&G Co.

Mom and Dad's home teaching couple,
who lived by them in the "tree streets,"
were in an antique store in San Francisco
years ago and bought this cracker tin for me
because they knew I lived in
Edgemont.
Wasn't that so thoughtful of them?

I love the tin because it represents where we live,
it's green (my favorite color),
and it reminds me of friendship and thoughtfulness.

Now, obviously, this is not a Wordless Wednesday,
but rather rather a Full Factual Friday.
I'll do better next time at the wordless stuff.

5 comments:

Astromom said...

I love Edgemont too, this is home. The tin is very sweet. I think the story of your house and the once empty lot is very romantic.

Anonymous said...

You made it and thank you for that. I love you for doing this because I can stay in touch with you while living so far away. Great blog tonight and thankyou again for your insight too a wonderful day?

tingey said...

AAA.....the anonymous comment is mine hit the wrong button sorry?

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

Very cute.

And amazing about remembering your vacant lot, isn't it?

What else do you remember?

Misty B. said...

Once again I'm learning more and more about my life from your blog. I didn't know about your friend living in Edgemont or where the tin came from! Thanks for blogging!!!