Crinkled Oranges

Thursday, June 9, 2011

We went to the

movie, "17 Miracles" today.  We were interested in seeing it, not only because of the story, but because our friend and neighbor is an actor in it.  It was a beautifully done movie, that forcefully reminded me of the sacrifices made by many people of great faith.  

The movie depicts experiences from the Willie-Martin Handcart Company, one of the many handcart companies that came west across America.  Many of them were immigrants from Europe and had already suffered much hardship in their journeys.  But their purpose was to establish a settlement, free from persecution, for members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.  I have ancestors who traveled from Scotland and were part of the handcart exodus.  They were not part of the Willie-Martin Handcart company, but I'm sure they had experiences much like those depicted in the movie. 

I've heard and read of pioneer experiences, but seeing it brought to life in the movie made it more real to me.  Although, "more real" is actually a relative term.   Because, honestly, I cannot fathom how they did it.   The physical hardships of starvation, exhaustion, extreme weather, along with the emotional loss of losing loved ones, just seems like it would be too much to bear.

I'm afraid I would have lasted about one day, had I even been willing to go at all.  I've often said, when I talk of ancestors who were pioneers, that I can't believe I'm related to anyone who had the strength to do it.  Just last week in Missouri, when I was walking short distances in the 100 degree heat, I thought of them.  Here I was, physically dragging, as I walked around Six Flags Resort being entertained.    Hardly a comparison to ancestors who were driven from Nauvoo or made the trek across the country in covered wagons or handcarts.

I guess the answer lies in the title of the movie.  
They had great faith, and faith precedes the Miracles.  
They wouldn't have made it without the Miracles
and the Miracles came because of the faith.  

I'm just go grateful that  I wasn't born at a time when I had to show my faith in that way.   And I'm also very grateful for those who did.    

2 comments:

Tom Anderson said...

Nice entry, well written and deeply felt. Like you, I am so happy I was born when I was, not in those physically demanding days. We stand on their shoulders.

Tiffany said...

ooh, I wish I could see that before we go on our trek in July. I don't think it will be playing in theaters here in Oregon! But I will have to see if after I suppose. I'm definintely nervous for my trek experience, even though it will be MUCH easier than the real things. Those pioneers do amaze me.