Crinkled Oranges

Tuesday, May 20, 2014

If I had my wishes . . .

I would have been at the end of year award assemblies that the grandchildren are all involved in.   I would have seen Annie as an adorable Annie Oakley, Eliza at her honers night, Ashton with his winning story (which was amazing), and Lucy as she stood in front of her class and read them a book she wrote.

I would watch Harrison, who is 9 year old, as he plays baseball on a team of almost 11 year olds (and they usually put him in to pitch the tough games).  I would be there to hug Lydia when she was the only Freshman in her school to get 100% on her state language exam.   I would have seen Hyrum earn 4 medals in track last week, and given him a hug when he broke his toe while playing baseball.

I would have heard all the cute things Marshall says.   Things like he said to Misty after coming home from Bunny Hollow.  "Mom, you can't just leave and go to Grandma's  I like Grandma, too, you know."  Or when he said to Jackson (who was baby sitting him), "“I just love Misty.  Where is Misty anyway?”

I would be at Jackson's high school graduation on Friday and his graduation open house on Saturday.  These are really hard to miss.   If Gary were out of school and we could take a road trip,  or if we had the kind of money where we could just hop on a plane for a quick trip out and back, we would be there.  

And while we were at it, we would take an indirect flight home so we could be with my nephew, Jared, and his family as they are sealed in the temple.   That is such a happy event and one I am so thrilled about.  I know that his Mom, Jean, who passed away 2 years ago today, has been very influential in having this come about.    I know she will be there (in a different realm) and that they will be surrounded by family
who love them.

So those are my wishes, but I know that not all wishes are possible.  Not in this life, anyway.   I always try not to dwell on what I don't have, because there are so many wonderful things I do have.  Sometimes, though, I have to have a little cry and feel a little sadness.  

And then I get out of myself, and send my prayers and good wishes to those I wish I could be with. 







4 comments:

Misty B. said...

Sometimes those of us who wish you could be here have a little cry too! But the great part about you and Dad is that you are with us all the time. Especially when I see you're facial expressions in my kids. And I hope you know, we'd like to be with you too. It's just distance but it really stinks sometimes. Lydia's reading this over my shoulder and says I sound like a teenage girl. So I guess I'm done. Love you!

Misty B. said...

Hey grandma, it's Lydia. We all miss you too, (especially me) and I am counting down the days until summer when I get to come out there and see you! Its what I look forward too most all year, during the summer and also at Christmas time. I love and miss you!

Tiffany said...

We know that you would be at every single thing if you could! The kids know that too. You are the best long distance grandparents in the world!! We can't wait to be there soon.

Unknown said...

What a beautiful post. Here's to wishing you can be there for everything.