Crinkled Oranges

Monday, January 25, 2016

Cochlear Implant

Well, I'm doing it.  As I've gone through the various processes, it just seems like the right time.  I qualify, with my hearing loss, to have our insurance pay for all but our medical deductible.

It hasn't been a particularly easy decision, because it is permanent and there is no turning back.  I've been warned by everyone that there will be an adjustment period because at first it will sound very mechanical and will taking some getting used to.  But, it should help with the clarity and decibels I hear in that ear.  They are doing my R. ear, which has the most profound loss.

I have kind of second guessed myself since commiting, wondering if I should mess with the status quo, which I rationalize really isn't too bad with my hearing aids.  But, funnily, since commiting I've been paying special attention to what I'm hearing and what I'm not hearing.  On one day last week I went visiting teaching and my visiting teachers came here.   I realized that I was probably only catching 50% what they were saying.  I could follow the thread of the converstations but missing a lot of the details.  That was actually kind of reassuring to me that I had made the right decision.

So, it is this Thursday.  It is a same day surgery, and Gary has taken the day off.  I am a little nervous about it being successful and how painful the recovery might be, though it isn't a dangerous or risky procedure.   I think of my niece, Andie, who has had that procedure and dozens of others for feeding tubes and surgeries to keep her body in alignment, and I realize that this is nothing.

Then I think of silly vanity issues, like how much of my hair will be shaved off and how much the equipment will show even when my hair grows back (Very important, I know!)  It was sweet, when I got my hair highlighted last week, my friend and hairdresser said she wished she could be in the surgery with me to tell them what they could and couldn't shave off.

So, it will be an adventure.  Hopefully an exciting one, especially once I am able to start activiating the equipment in about 3 weeks.









 



 

2 comments:

Misty B. said...

I wish I could be there too! (For a lot of reasons: To keep Dad company while he waits, to provide chocolate as needed, and to help you in a million ways just like you've helped me.) We'll be praying for you.

Lynn said...

I'm excited for you Annette. I hope this will be a good thing for you. I'll be praying for you on Thursday. Love