Crinkled Oranges

Saturday, August 6, 2016

July 22 - 23 Retirement Road Trip - NY City

It was harrowing for me, but not for Gary, driving into New York City.  I would not suggest it to anyone.  Once at our motel, we didn't use it (you have to pay $70 dollars a night just to park it).





One thing I wanted to do was go to the One World Trade Center that honors the 9/11 victims.  It is sobering to be at the actual sites and to visual the chaos and loss of that day.

Views from the tower.






Memorial Pool
Firefighter's museum








The one thing Gary wanted to do was go to a Yankee Game.








We also went to a Rockettes performance, but to be honest I was so tired that I slept through some of it.  That was a new experience for me to fall asleep during a show, as I usually can't fall asleep in bed.






Jennie, the daughter of our friend's the Adairs, treated us to a meal in their very ritzy restaurant in the flat iron district.



 The food was amazing, and it was fun to see her family.  They live 2 blocks from their restaurant and don't even own a car.  There is no where to park if you live in NYC.  I asked her how she went grocery shopping and they order all the groceries through a service.  If they need to get somewhere in a car they order a car service that you can rent by the hour.  There rent is $9,000 a month for a 2 bedroom apartment.  It is hard to fathom all that, but it is the norm if you live in New York City.










1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love NYC, but I cannot believe that Gary actually drove in the city. That is something Greg and I said we would never do. I really want to go back to the 9/11 memorial. Greg an I were there before it was finished. And....to top it off great food, a Yankees game, fun with friends and more.. What an adventure