Crinkled Oranges

Monday, February 5, 2018

When you think

of the influence that one good person can make on other's lives, it makes you reflect on how you want to be better.

My beautiful, talented, and giving friend, Martha Glissmeyer, passed away on Sunday morning.  While I knew she was battling a return of cancer, I had no idea she was so sick.  She was just 58.

Martha was Natalie's voice teacher from the time Natalie was 14.  Natalie blossomed under her instruction, encouragement, and in the extra time and effort she would give Natalie when she auditioned for plays.  And Natalie was one of hundreds that she did the same for over the years.

As I've read the comments on Facebook from the hundreds who have posted about Martha's influence, they all mention the impact she had on their lives, what a beautiful and giving soul she was, and the light and hope she radiated.

As a neighborhood we are devastated.  She and her husband, Eric, sang beautiful duets and starred in and directed many plays and performances.   Martha was in the the Tabernacle Choir for a year until it became too much for her.  I was able to serve with Martha in several church organizations, and I always felt so blessed to be a part of her life.   Her influence is felt far and wide in the neighborhood and in the music and theater community.  Martha's life makes me want to be better.

Eric asked for anyone who had pictures of Martha to share them.  I spent time today going through my photos through the years.  The one that I'm so glad I have is this one of Martha with her daughter Caroline on Halloween.  This was in 2004, and Caroline is 19 now.  Caroline is a twin to Paul who is autistic.  I just don't know if he will be able to understand why he mom is gone.  It breaks my heart.



Here's Natalie on the left singing with Martha at a ward talent show.


It is hard to imagine a world without Martha, but heaven definitely gained an angel, and one that could sing the solo in the heavenly choir.

Here is a clip of Martha singing when she was at BYU.  She is the soloist.

Martha singing "How Can I Keep From Singing"



No comments: