Crinkled Oranges

Sunday, November 23, 2014

For the Hall Reunion

the favor was the "Preserve your Family History" jars with the questions inside.  My goal has been to answer a question from it every few days.  I  haven't quite gotten to it, but my sister started doing it on her blog, and I have really enjoyed reading her entries.  Thanks for the encouragement, Charlene, and I'm challenging Tom to do it also.  He has been a real slacker on his blog.

Today's question:  "What things do you enjoy today that you enjoyed doing as a child?  Describe them then and now."

I know that I enjoyed baking way back in elementary school.  My girls just laugh when they read in my journal that I "Went to school, came home, made a cake."   Really, just about every day.  I think I have a blog post on that already.

What hasn't changed is that I still make a huge mess when I do it.  What has changed is that Mom isn't here to clean up after me.  She was really never a baker, other than her white cake with chocolate icing and her boiled raisin cake. So when I started being interested in it, she liked it so much that she told me that if I baked, she would clean up.   Unfortunately, I don't have a fairy godmother that does that for me now.

I loved collecting recipes, too.  In fact, what Gary gave me for Christmas when we were 15 were two cookbooks.   I'm sure his Mom had more to do with that than him, but somehow he knew I was interested.  They were both Betty Crocker Cake and Cookie Cookbooks.  In fact, if I weren't sitting comfortably in the recliner right now, I would go take a picture of them.

I loved to read, my favorites being Nancy Drew and the Hardy boys.  I've "graduated" from that to "The Cream Puff Murder," "Dying for Chocolate," "A is for Alibi,"and any other light and fluffy mystery.   And I do mean light and fluffy.  Ashton has observed this, and in a funny way asks me what "recipe" mystery I'm reading now.  But, hey, when I'm reading for pleasure, I don't want to get so involved with a character that I feel their emotions and take them upon me.

Well, this has taken me longer than I thought it would.  I guess there is something about asking a simple question that brings up random memories.

If you (whoever you are) are reading this, share your answer to that question.






3 comments:

Unknown said...

I am so glad you are doing the memories too. I remember your cookbooks and I too was an avid fan of the Hardy Boys...not Nancy Drew so much. And one of my adult favorite books are the A for Alibi series. There are only two alphabet letters in her series left. I will have to start reading them again. Tom....time to quit being a slacker and get back to your blog. I miss it.

Misty B. said...

Please continue your entries...think how far you've come since your baking diaries!

Tom Anderson said...

Nice blog I was the beneficiary of your baking. Nice memories. I have been a real slacker. I will do better.