Crinkled Oranges

Saturday, November 22, 2014

I feel like I have been

living under a cloud for the last two weeks, and that it has now been lifted.  First of all:

My heart is healthy!

But, it is interesting to see where your mind goes when you worry that you may have a serious health issue with your heart.

It all started with my legs, feet, and joints swelling very quickly. My weight went up about 10 lbs in a few days (and it really hasn't come down), and I have felt short of breath.

After being worried about it, I went into the Dr.  He was a little concerned by what he was seeing, and sent me for a chest x-ray and blood test.  Those came back fine, but just to make sure, he sent me to do a treadmill stress test.  I couldn't pass the test because I couldn't keep going and get my heart rate above 185 (and I felt like I was going to die on the spot).  But I've never had good endurance, so that is nothing new.

So because that was inconclusive, they had me get an echocardiogram, which I did Thursday.  That came back showing that my heart was healthy.  Which is really good news, because anyone who knows the family, knows of our family history with heart disease.  I also appreciated having my nephew, Bryce (who does echocardiograms) giving me some personal attention.

I haven't started getting the bills yet, so along with the tests being unnecessary, I have no doubt it will also be expensive.   But it is very reassuring.   As for what the problem is, I'm actually wondering if I had an allergic reaction to something or had a spider bite (I had a rash also), as the swelling is going down slowly and I am having more energy.

Anyway, back to what you think about when you really face your mortality.

 My first thought was that I don't want to be the cause of anyone being sad. So when my time does come, don't be sad.  Just remember how blessed I've been.

Then I thought that I need to get my house in order and all my messes cleaned up. I don't want someone else to have to clean up my messes.

Then I thought of all that I would miss with those I love.  But I also know that I will still be able to be a part of that even when I am gone.

Then I thought that there are a lot of things I need and want to change about myself before I die.    So I'm glad I have some more time to work on those.

So there are no worries, it was just kind of a wake up call.  I didn't want to worry anyone unnecessarily, and I'm very glad it wasn't necessary.    Now I just need to make good on all the things I was hoping I had more time for.

Life is good.






2 comments:

Tiffany said...

Mom! I'm so glad you are ok, but I am not glad that this is the first time I've heard about this! I am going to call you today!

Misty B. said...

I'm feeling relief at your results and also the same shock Tiff has. Where have I been??? Going to call you today and straighten out the "when to call your daughter" policy! Love you! And I can't think of a single thing you need to change before you die in 45 years or more.