Crinkled Oranges

Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Veterans Day

Here is an excerpt from part of Gary's history.

"My most powerful Green River recollections have to do with the beginnings of World War II, and the vibrant activity at the railroad yard following Pearl Harbor.  I would lie on the floor in front of our radio listening to newscasters speaking in somber tones about casualty reports in the Pacific, knowing that my Uncle Arnold, a marine, was there.  My Father’s nephew, Capt. Tom Anderson, visited us with Raylene, his beautiful young bride (and my first crush) shortly before he was killed piloting a bomber over Germany.  Yet, in a little-boy fashion, I envied the young men who were old enough to fight in that war and much of my earliest fantasy centered on imagined heroic actions in the field of battle."

I think I always had that same type of idealistic images of war and the soldiers fighting them.   I still have the same pride and admiration for the soldiers, but what I didn't realize until reaching adulthood is just how horrific war really is.  I don't know how any soldiers come home without PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder) because of what they see, hear, and experience.   
I just went into Family Search and in my cousin Tomas Levar Anderson, who died in the war, this is the information entered.  My brother, Tom, was named after him.  

Pilot 2nd/Lt. Thomas L. Anderson KIA Hometown: Utah Squadron: 577th BS 392th Bomb Group Service # O-747165 Awards: Awards: Purple Heart Target:BRUNSWICK CASUALTIES NOT LISTED IN MACR Date Lost: 8-Apr-44 Serial Number: #42-73505 Aircraft Model B-24J Aircraft Letter: S Aircraft Name: FAIRY BELLE Location:Bizewell Farm, Sidestrand, Norfolk England Cause: "100% materiel failure." 5KIA 5INJ
The Report of Aircraft Accident contains this sequence of events based on statements made by engineer S/Sgt Charles T. Cook and right waist gunner Cpl George T. Shikenjanski: "After having reached a point three or four miles beyond the Enemy coast the oil pressure of No. 1 engine fell to a very low level and oil was noticed to be leaking from the engine. The prop was feathered with difficulty. Almost immediately the oil pressure on No. 2 engine dropped very low and efforts to feather the prop failed. During this short period the plane turned back toward land, the bombs were jettisoned into the English Channel and all excess weight including the guns were thrown overboard. The men in the waist took up 'Ditching positions' and the plane crashed just after reaching the coast at approximately 1320 hours at Bizewell Farm, Sidestrand, Norfolk. Shortly after crashing the plane caught fire and burned. 2/Lt Leland, S/Sgt Cook, T/Sgt Marshall, Cpl Shikenjanski, and Sgt Sullivan were all injured in the crash."

Here is a photo of Tom and Raylene I found as I have been going through pictures.  You can't see the inscription, but it says "Merry Christmas Charlet and Golden from Tom and Raylene 1943."


I can see why she was Gary's first crush
I give thanks to those who have sacrificed so much for our freedoms.  

2 comments:

Marci said...

Wow, I have never heard that story and didn't realize that Tom was named after him. That is really powerful, and it's astounding to think of how many women like Raylene lost their husbands and how many mothers lost their sons. A true sacrifice. I can't wait to hear more from Gary's history.

Tom Anderson said...

That is heart wrenching. So very sad. I am honored to have his name. Tell Gary to keep up the good writing and thank you Annette for helping him in this endeavor that I know means so much to him. You are an angel.