Crinkled Oranges

Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Connections

Interestingly, as I was watching Studio 5 today, they were talking about how to help those you love who struggle with addictions.   The philosophy is that "The opposite of addiction is not sobriety.  The opposite of addiction is Connection."
They are loosely defining connection as "Energy between people who feel heard, seen, and valued without judgement."

And then tonight, when I went to our R.S. midweek activity, they were emphasizing the importance of creating "Connections."  In fact that has been the theme for our R.S. for the year.  

I think we all know that we need connections and positive relationships, both as a recipient and as a giver.  But I also know that often times, for me anyway, thinking of making "connections" makes me tired.  It takes a lot of energy to be social and attentive sometimes.  

In fact, I can easily talk myself out of it and stay home in my own little cocoon.   Even so, I rarely regret having made the effort.  I usually come away feeling sustained and nourished, and hopefully that is reciprocated.  

It is kind of like the philosophy of, "When you least feel like praying, that is when you need to the most."   When we see others seem to withdraw from relationships or society, or when we are tempted to not make the effort, that is when we need to reach out the most.   Both as a giver and a receiver.

I hope this makes sense.






 



     

No comments: