Crinkled Oranges

Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Light the world day 2-- Honor your Parents

As you can tell, I'm not following the timetable strictly.  But thinking upon them each day has been thought provoking.

To be honest, I have been in somewhat of an attitude funk the last little while.   Or lets just say, everything (including deep thinking) requires more effort and energy than I want to give. I have been looking more at the negative and less at the positive.  So, as I've considered the suggestions for service given each day, I have been much more conscious of my thought processes.   

Remembering, first of all, that true service does not come until the heart is "soft."  What does a soft heart look like to me?  It is almost easier to explain with what it doesn't look like (is that being negative?)  

When you are being judgmental and critical, your heart is not soft.  When you perceive the people around you as obstacles or irritants, your heart is not soft.  When you don't want to put yourself out for others because it is inconvenient, uncomfortable, or takes too much time, your heart is not soft.   When you are so self absorbed (even if that self absorption is negative), that you can't see beyond yourself to see other's needs or problems, your heart is not soft.  Feeling envious or tearing others down because of their successes or accomplishments does not stem from a soft heart.   

Now back to "Honor Your Parents."

Mom and Dad have been gone for more than 20 years and Gary's mom for more than 15 years.  Yet, there are many ways to honor them.  I feel I am honoring them when I nurture relationships with the people that were important to them. When I document their lives and do all I can to pass on their legacy of love.  When I try to connect the generations before and after them. When I am being my "best self" I feel I am honoring them.   On the other hand, when I feel I am not being my best self, I can hear Mom telling me, "You're just like your Dad and too hard on yourself."  So, in that case, not being too hard on myself is also honoring my parents.

In my Patriarchal blessing, which I received when I was 16, my family is mentioned in a beautiful way.
"The Lord is pleased at this moment to inform you that you were born of goodly parents.  Always remember this and be eternally grateful for them; for they have provided for you a lovely home.  In the days ahead, be willing to learn from your parents and from your brothers and sister.  And contribute to them of your time and talents likewise, that you may help in your own way to preserve the family line."
That paragraph from my blessing has been an inspiration to me.   Mom and Dad demonstrated that principle well by their service, loyalty, and devotion to family.   As have my siblings and Gary's siblings.

During this last week I felt like I was honoring them as I worked with my brother, Gary, organizing pictures for his history.  As I visited with Dad's nieces and my cousins.  As I worked on a document updating the Hall family cousin information.  As we decorated the graves for Christmas.




 






(I made the wreaths were made from the boughs of the downed Blue Spruce, which made them more meaningful to me)

I am not particularly comfortable making a list of "good turns" as President James Faust once called small acts of service.  And they are very small things.  But, these are the small things that help me feel that I am honoring my parents.

   




  



3 comments:

Tiffany said...

This is beautiful Mom. I don't think a single day has ever gone by that you don't honor your parents with the way you live. I cherish my memories with them. xoxo

Misty B. said...

I also really enjoyed this post! I love the part of your blessing you shared. I can't think of more goodly parents than have been in my family. Starting with my grandparents and of course you and Dad! By the way, my blessing also says I was raised by "goodly parents who have showered you with love." I'd say you're keeping up the legacy quite well! Love you!

Gary said...

Thank you dear for sharing your wonderful comments and feelings. Love you, Gary