Crinkled Oranges

Thursday, March 23, 2017

Have you noticed the

price of vanilla lately?  I have.

A 16 oz bottle of vanilla that I used to buy for about 8 dollars is now selling for 24.  I have to admit that in the past I have been very loose with my vanilla use.  I would not measure, but rather just kind of pour it in my batters.  Now, I measure very carefully, not wanting to use a splash more than I have to.

At Christmas, Eileen and Sharilyn gave me these cute bottles of homemade vanilla.


I was inspired.  

The recipe is to put vanilla beans in liquor (I bought vodka) and let it sit for a couple of months.   It's that easy.  I had Trent help me put it together (with Misty looking on in amazement).




You slice the beans open and cut into smaller pieces (I ordered 20 extract grade B Madagascar bourbon vanilla beans for $29 and they came from France in 4 days).  I bought Vodka in St. George, where I could do it without someone I know seeing me. (Of course, now I've kind of let the vodka out of the bag)


Now I just need to shake it up once or twice a week for a couple of months.  It already looks like this.





No comments: