Crinkled Oranges

Wednesday, May 24, 2017

I'm sitting

here in a hotel room in Burlington, Colorado.  We left Misty's this morning and needed to arrive here soon enough so that Gary could do his online independent study sessions from the motel.

We left a day sooner than we had initially thought we would, as my brother, Gary, is going downhill rapidly.  We expect that he may pass away before we get home tomorrow night. I feel such sadness.  I can't imagine a world without Gary in it.

The kids are gathered and Charlene and Richard are going to see him today.  Yesterday Natalie sat with him while Lynn and Leslie went to the mortuary to choose the casket.  I can hardly stand to write that, because it makes it so real.

He has definitely maintained the good fight and done it with grace and dignity -- even though it has been very hard for him.   The image I see in my mind of Gary, when he is free of his mortal body, is of him "striding."  Gary never did anything slowly, until Parkinson's made that impossible.  I love the thought of him striding forward, free from the physical bonds that have hampered his body.  I envision a joyous reunion with Chuck and Christine, Mom and Dad, and all those who love him who have gone on before.

I wonder if they are awaiting his arrival, just like we await the arrival of a new baby.   I just wish I could know now, and not have to wait until I have died to know about the details of this process.  But I have no doubt about the processes.

As I was driving in Kansas today and thinking about Gary, I saw a billboard that said, "If you died today, where would you spend eternity?"   Well, I  have no doubt where Gary will spend it.

When Gary retired, they had all the partners in his law firm write some "evaluations as partner without attribution."  They asked them to "Please write a brief statement of something you value or respect about Gary Anderson."  They were written on 3x5 cards and handwritten.  When I made them into a document and wanted to include them, he was very uncomfortable.  Gary always deflected the attention from himself.

He finally agreed to keep them in his history if it was prefaced with him saying,

"I include these 'Evaluations of Partners without Attribution' not to be self-congratulatory, but because they are meaningful to me from my valued associates.   But, I also wonder what the answer would be if they had asked "Write something about Gary that you do not value or respect!”  But we’ll never know.

Here is what they said:

  • ·      A thoroughly HUMAN being – Threw away the key – The most endearing person I know.
  • ·      Honesty, integrity, dedication and warmth – along with being a terrific lawyer.
  • ·      He always says “yes” and will repair the damage left by others without asking for recognition by the firm.  His hard work over the years when his family situation would have made anyone else ask for a leave or for help.
  • ·      Integrity and thoughtfulness.
  • ·      Wonderful personality and temperament.  Hardworking, with firm’s interest always at the forefront.
  • ·      I can’t comment on Gary’s professional skills, but I understand them to be top quality.  What I see and value is a man with overwhelming decency, and above all, grace, regardless of the pressures he faces.
  • ·      Gary is a thoughtful, fair, brilliant lawyer who exudes kindness.  He is a wonderful teacher.
  • ·      I respect Gary’s values and courage.  Through many difficult years, Gary has always contributed both in terms of work and in terms of being supportive of his partners.  I admire the fact that although he is of a different religious background than most of us, it never interferes – he is tolerant and accepting of other’s points of view.  Gary has a tremendous ability to verbally express himself and is great in front of judge or jury.
  • ·      Courageous and humble.  A classic litigator and wonderful partner.  The man to have in your corner, if you need good lawyering or just good advice.
  • ·      I value Gary’s trial skills, his tenacity, his refusal to back down in the face of adversity (such as the M-- case) and his energetic and effective efforts to build an employment practice.  I also appreciate what a nice man he is!
  • ·      Terrific role model – holds to highest values, even in times of personal/professional adversity.  A+ trial lawyer. 
  • ·      Your wonderful presence and stature and the class you bring to the partnership.   
  • ·      Solid human being, great common sense, sincere and moral; cares about people.
  • ·      Gary provides the moral antenna for the firm.  His open-mindedness and compassion are remarkable.  Of course, he is also an extraordinary lawyer, but I value his personal integrity most of all. 
  • ·      Outstanding human being and lawyer.  He is an essential part of the culture and fabric of this firm and sets an example for all of us. 
  • ·      Utterly principled, no hidden agendas.  The consummate trial lawyer.  Tremendous passion and warmth for all those with whom he works.  Loyal to a fault.  One of the best “Big Picture” lawyers I know.  Able to bring practical solutions to difficult problems. 
  • ·      By reputation, great trial skills.  By personal observation, great moral and ethical values. 
  • ·      Wonderful human being.  Great lawyering skills.  Strong mentor for younger lawyers.  Proud to have him as my partner.
  • ·      Gary is always there – steady as a rock- with solid, calm self-effacing advice – willing to work extremely hard and take risks others shy from.  Gary has an equally great skill in dealing with people- a pleasant and warm smile, a kind word, and beneath it the steel to bring in results like Mennen and Nissan.  It is a great comfort to have Gary as a partner, friend and lawyer in my corner.
  • ·      Friendliness.  Intensity.  Loyalty.  Legal skill and commitment to practice.  Practices development skills in general and empathy in particular.
  • ·      His character – compassion, integrity, honesty.  His skill and tenacity as an advocate.  His courage.  His friendship. 
  • ·      Gary has always had a kind and friendly word for me and anyone else I’ve ever seen him come across.
  • ·      Warm, outgoing and friendly.  I think Gary is also a decent human being who is a good moral compass.  An excellent grasp of strategy. 
  • ·      I admire your thoughtful views on issues that affect the firm and its people.  I also value the friendly way you interact with people and the respect in which your litigation skills are held by those who work with you.
  • ·      Aside from Gary’s outstanding legal abilities, Gary provides us something far greater – a thoughtful caring friend who always takes time to help others in the firm.  Gary never lets his ego get in the way of his contributions and always finds something positive to offer. 
  • ·      I value and respect Gary’s unflappable and caring nature.

Ok, I've got to stop.  This is making me too emotional.  I love him.







2 comments:

Unknown said...

I can't believe you could write this. I feel paralized and don't know what to say. What you did helping Gary with his history is something you will cherish for ever - and so will he.

Misty B. said...

I loved reading all of that! thanks so much for sharing.