Crinkled Oranges

Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Grandfather Clock


Every time I've looked at my grandfather clock the last few years, I've felt sad.  It hasn't worked, and the weights were jammed.  Dad built it, and I love it, which was why I was sad.

A few times I've played around with fixing it, but to no avail.  Finally on Saturday, I decided to get serious about it and give it one more try. In fact, it was almost a challenge in my mind that if I could get it working that it was a message from mom and dad.

I pulled up instructions on the Internet, and basically troubleshooted by changing the weights, bending the pendulum, etc. -- all along figuring that the worst thing I could do was break it more and have to call a repairman-- which I was going to have to do anyway since it hadn't been working for years. 

Well, I feel loved, because now it is working. The chimes are erratic, but just having the mechanism work lifts my heart.  I'll deal with syncing up the chimes later, but for now I just love watching the pendulum swing and hearing the rhythmic tick-tock. 

Thank you. 








No comments: