Crinkled Oranges

Monday, December 2, 2019

At 6 am yesterday

morning, I was feeling pretty motivated.  At 2 pm today, not so much.  I did a good share of my decorating before I left, and Natalie and Trent did the tree and the Sunroom for us while we were gone.  I'm very grateful for that, as today as I'm trying to finish it up, I'm definitely dragging.  And also feeling an increased desire to simplify.

Last Christmas Gary gave me a certificate for a cruise.  We've never done one, and it is something we've wanted to do.  I was a little concerned, as Gary had bought it from a phone call solicitation (and he has been known to buy into some interesting infomercials before).  I "secretly" hoped it was legitimate.  And it mostly was! 

However, because of the horrible hurricanes in the Bahamas this year, the particular cruise line he bought from was not operating that cruise right now.  They would still give us meal vouchers, car rental, and the motel accommodations in Ft. Lauderdale for the whole time.  Or we could reschedule.  Rescheduling would have been tricky since we already had our plane tickets, and finding another time would be hard with him back teaching full time.

So we went. And in retrospect, I think we probably enjoyed it more than we would have a cruise.  He had upgraded us to a nicer hotel that was right on a beautiful beach.  We ate most of our meals right there in the Tiki Hut on the beach with our meal vouchers and took day trips on the waterways and in our car.  And, at night in the motel, we even watched several new Hallmark Christmas movies.  (I'm not sure I should be proud to admit that).

Yesterday, began the "Light the World" campaign by the Church.  Each day in December they suggest one small act of service to make the world a brighter place, and you can even sign up to get text prompts to remind you.  Yesterday, it was to tell someone that sent you a text what you value about them. 

It is amazing what taking just one moment to express appreciation can do to make gratitude swell in your own heart.  Before bed I sent Gary a text expressing this simple message.  "Just wanted to say how blessed I feel to have you as my partner in life and in eternity.  It is wonderful to have someone I can be at my worst with and know that you still love me.  I've loved having this time alone with you."

I always feel that, but often times don't take time to express it. 

Today the prompt was to use the #LightTheWorld and share on social media about someone who gives Christlike service.  Wow, there are so many who do that.  And it is not the big grand gestures that I marvel at.  It is the every day gestures of helpfulness that usually go unnoticed or unheralded.  It is people that do hard things day after day with a good attitude.

As I was thinking about that, I got an email from Charlene with a link to watch a segment on the news.  It is an interview with by brother-in-law, Greg.  He was a firefighter for 30 years, and is part of a group to give support to first responders who feel "The Weight of the Call."  I so appreciate Greg and all those whose jobs are to help us in our worst moments and who do it with strength and compassion.   Thank you!

#LightTheWorld 
https://www.abc4.com/news/local-news/abc4-news-shines-light-on-the-weight-of-the-call/


1 comment:

It's EXHUSTING being me..... said...

I am SOOOO happy you are back blogging. I have missed it. I still post every few weeks or once a month. Just posting the grandkids birthday posts means I post at least 9 times a year. I like the "light" message from the church. Every year each of us in my Soup Group pick 3 words that we are going to focus on for the year. The words are really resolutions but just things that will guide your behavior for the next year. You have chosen one of your 3 Words...light. Now you can pick 2 others.

Love ya.