Crinkled Oranges

Monday, August 8, 2011

Anniversary Memories

One of our activities at the Hall reunion was an "Oldie Wed Game."  Gary and I didn't do too well, actually.  One question was,

"What did you do on your first date?"   

My first thought was of Halloween, 1967, when we were "trick-or-treating" with a group of friends.  He tore off a piece of his brown paper bag, rolled it into a ring, and asked me to "go with him."   We were way too young for that, by the way (just 13).  

His answer was, "Going to the movie 'Where Were you When the Lights Went Out."  That was technically true, in that it was the first time he actually asked me to go somewhere with him officially. 

Another answer I was going to give, but didn't, was "At the hospital."   I guess that wouldn't qualify as a date, since we were just a few days old, but it would have been the first time we were together here on this earth.  We know we were in the nursery together, because he is only three days older than me and back then our mother's stayed in the hospital for 10 days.  We also speculate that we may have been right next to each other, being as both of our last names started with an "A."   (Just as a side note -- Mom always joked that Gary must have been the baby that was screaming all the time.)  

We meet up again at Wasatch Elementary in the fifth grade.  (Second row down, far right)
 

My mind is on many of those memories, as today is our 37th wedding anniversary.  We figured this morning (after he had very sweetly made me oatmeal with blueberries) that at this time 37 years ago, we were on our way to the Salt Lake Temple for our ceremony.  I have only the happiest of memories of that day.  It could not have been more perfect.  I guess the only negative thing I can remember is that it was the day President Richard Nixon announced he was resigning as president.  We were having a hard time getting the family to come get their pictures taken because they were outside listening to his speech on the car radios.

I don't have a lot of early pictures of us together, but here are a few I've found from our Jr. High yearbooks.

(Right by each other again)


Romeo and Juliet



6 comments:

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

Oh my gosh, you were such babies. And so darling. Happy Anniversary. And you are STILL such babies.

Misty B. said...

I love the pictures! I think you have a pretty good selection. And Mom, you forgot to mention the red gingham pants Dad wore on your wedding day. My kids still get a kick out of that. You'll have to post that pic next! Can't imagine a more loving couple that I'd want to be my parents. Love, Mist

TobyBo said...

what great photos!

Tom Anderson said...

Well done. Loved the photos. What a nice love story.

Unknown said...

The Romeo Juliet picture was one I have not seen. You guys have always been my role models. Love ya.

Robin said...

Annette, I loved the pictures of you and Gary. I think I remember some of those. What great memories we have. I have some choice pictures of you and Gary at our wedding on August 22nd. By the way Misty, Brent wore a red and white checkered jacket when we came out of the temple and I had on red and white checked. It looked like we planned it. I will have to post that picture of all of us. Thanks for being good friends. Happy Anniversary!!! Robin