Crinkled Oranges

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Ahh . .

it felt good to be back to yoga today.  I went a few times in the summer when it was in the park, and that was really fun.   But it feels good to know I'm going to be committed and regular with it.  I even paid by the month this morning, just to cement that in my mind.

Why do we resist doing things that we not only know are good for us, but that make us feel good, also?  Or is that just me?   It would be so easy to sit and stretch when we're watching our favorite shows (like last night with "Major Crimes" and "Perception").   But I don't. 

Today at yoga we were supposed to focus on mindfulness.   Being in the present moment and not judging it.   I need a lot of work with that.  Not only doing it, but understanding what it means.

I visited with my friend, Diane, the other day.  We were talking about how we would never use the word "hate" when referring to or thinking of other people.  But when talking to or about ourselves, we use it all the time.   Things like, "I hate it when I do that."   "I hate how I don't do what I know I should be doing."   I'm going to try to be mindful of not doing that. 

Well, this is kind of rambling.  Having your mind going in all sorts of directions is not being mindful!  When I searched "mindfulness," this was one thing that came up.  I'm going to work on these.     

 ASPECTS OF MINDFULNESS
1. NON-JUDGING becoming an impartial witness to your own experience.
2. PATIENCE
3. BEGINNER’S MIND willingness to see everything as if for the first time.
4. TRUST – in yourself
 
5. NON-STRIVING by doing nothing, all is done.
6. ACCEPTANCE seeing things as they actually are in the present.
7. LETTING GO
From a workshop with Jon Kabat-Zinn
 

2 comments:

Tom Anderson said...

The other night at empty nesters we were each asked to quote one of our favorite statements by Pres. Monson. I chose: "Glance at the past. Prepare for the future, but live in the present". Good counsel for all of us.

Unknown said...

I lilke the aspects of mindfulness, but I definitely lack Patience. Whenever I go to Yoga all I can think about is...when is it going to be over. :)