Crinkled Oranges

Saturday, September 22, 2012

Timber Floats

A few weeks ago, Gary told his team that anytime they win by 40 points or more he would treat them to a "timber float."   They were all excited but wondered what a timber float was. He was surprised when no one knew, but he refused to tell them.  So each week the anticipation from the players grew, thinking it had to be something good.  Finally this Thursday night they did win by 40 points, so the team reminded him and asked again what it was.

So he told them.  A "timber float" is a cold glass of water with toothpicks floating in it.  Needless to say, they groaned with displeasure .  Gary assured them they would get something good besides a "timber float" at the next practice.  And, one of the team dads offered to provide actual root beer floats.

So when Gary came home after the game at 9:30,  he casually asked if I could maybe make 10 dozen or so cookies by the next day at 2pm.  Fortunately I have my convection oven, which I know I've expressed my love for before.  I didn't make 10 dozen small cookies, but I did make 60 extra large cookies.   It was fun!  (I do hope they don't win by 40 again anytime soon, though).




And, in case anyone ever wants to make 60 extra large cookies,
 if you 8 times this recipe,
that is what you will get!

                                            My Favorite Chocolate Chip Cookies

2/3 cups shortening
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 egg
1 1/2 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
-= Instructions =-
Mix shortening, sugar, vanilla, and egg.  Add flour, soda, and salt.  Stir in chocolate chips.  Drop on ungreased cookie sheet.  Bake 8 to 10 minutes at 375 degrees.

4 comments:

Tiffany said...

You are amazing! the other night Justin was taking a bunch of kids to the highschool football game and unusually I thought to myself "I should make something for them to take. . .and try to be like Grandma Ashton." So I whipped up a double batch of carmel corn and divided it into baggies for all the kids. They were so excited and surprised that I would do something quite so nice!

Tom Anderson said...

Those cookies made my mouth water. Fun times.

Misty B. said...

Way to go Mom and Tiff!

the smiths said...

Oh I love your chocolate chip cookies! Thanks for the recipe!