Crinkled Oranges

Monday, October 29, 2012

You never

know.  That is what has been on my mind this weekend (besides rooting for the Giants so half of my family can be happy!). 

Richard was in the hospital after a having a fall on Thursday.  He cracked some vertebrae and tailbone and has a bad gash on his head.   He is doing much better and is now in a facility for rehab.  He was in the Trauma unit at the hospital, and that is what made me realize (or more like I was given a reminder) that life as you know it can change in a second.

I observed some parents crying and hugging one another about the injuries of a son.  I saw a husband wheeling a very battered woman in a bed.  She had obviously been in some kind of auto accident.  When I was there, Richard asked me if I hated hospitals.   I told him that I really don't.  But they do serve as a reminder that we are all very vulnerable and not exempt from a life altering event.  

I guess that is where faith, and a belief that we are not alone, comes in.  Because people can experience horrific things and still come out strong.   I was reading about such a girl in the paper yesterday.  She had been hopping a train last year, fell, and the train ran over her legs.  She lost both legs.  Yet here she is a year later and says that she is a better person now than she was when she was physically whole. 

I hope I could be that kind of person. 

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

So true. I know I take life for granted. We are praying for Richard.

Tom Anderson said...

You are that kind of person.