Crinkled Oranges

Saturday, June 29, 2013

Digging yourself

into a hole.

This morning Gary asked if I had any honey-dos for him.  I said I did need to plant a couple of things and that he could dig the holes.  He said he was good and digging himself into holes.

That got us into a discussion of how we "dig ourselves into a hole" in different aspects of our lives -- Physical, Spiritual, Relationship, Career.    It is an interesting phrase.  It is one of those idioms that you don't take literally but has the general meaning that you are getting yourself in to trouble.   It is a step below "digging your own grave."    You hear the sayings, "You better stop, you're just digging a deeper hole."   "You're digging a hole you won't be able to get out of."

I feel like I'm "digging myself into a hole" with the way I use my time (on frivolous or unimportant things). In the way I eat and don't exercise.   But the more you do self-defeating actions or make poor choices, the deeper the hole gets and the harder it is to quit (or climb out).

Will Rogers has a quote that says:  "If you find yourself in a hole, stop digging."

 If it were only that easy!


2 comments:

Tom Anderson said...

So true. One of the philosophers, I think it was Voltaire, said "Man is made to blunder". Just begin to climb out, for me that is the key.

Misty B. said...

Love it!