Crinkled Oranges

Saturday, June 8, 2013

This morning we

had to go downtown to pick up a missionary plaque for one of the missionaries from our ward (one of Gary's responsibilities as Ward Clerk).  We ended up having to take a very circumvented route because the Provo City Marathon was going down University Avenue. 

As I was watching some of the runners, I thought how strenuous and hard it looked.  And hot.  And miserable.  I think you may catch the drift that I will not likely be running a marathon anytime soon.  And I haven't run any marathons in the past.  

But then I remembered an experience when we were juniors in high school (42 years ago).  Gary and I signed up for a 20 mile walk for some kind of charity fundraiser.  There are a couple of things I remember about it.  

First, that in the course of the 20 miles, Gary and I had several fights.  I don't remember what we fought about (what do 17 year olds fight about?).  But since we couldn't really walk away and were stuck with each other for the duration, we also had time to make up from out fights.   

The other thing I remember about it was that I felt almost delirious when it was over and that we had to go to a dance that night.  We were Junior Class officers and, as a courtesy to the other schools in the community, we would go to their Junior Proms.   So we had to go to Orem High's Jr. Prom that night.  I remember being so tired that dancing seemed impossible.

Well, that was a random memory.  But, maybe that is what ruined me for long distance anything.  In fact, I'm pretty sure that if it weren't for that experience I would have become a marathon runner.  

Yeah, well, if you believe that . . .      

3 comments:

Tom Anderson said...

Random thoughts are funny. I think that is very funny for some reason.

Misty B. said...

I can picture you two on the walk! I like hearing your memories

Becky said...

This story is like a glimpse into your courtship. Love it.