Crinkled Oranges

Monday, June 13, 2016

Gary has been

obsessed with the thought that the trees in our front yard are too big.   For years he has wanted to cut them up, but I refuse to do that.  Then all you see is the ugly underbelly of the tree, and the roots that are above ground would still be a problem.   (By cutting them up, I mean cutting all the lower branches off so the limbs are not low enough to get in the way of anything)

I'm just about ready to give an OK to have the bushes by the porch pulled out.  I've loved having the feeling of being in a forest when looking out front from both inside and outside the of the house.  But, it is not as attractive looking out of the window anymore because there is so much deadwood.

So as I sat I on the porch yesterday, I was trying to visualize the view without the trees and bushes.

Here is the view walking up to the house.  
Imagine the trees on the right and the big tree on the left gone.  




Here is the view sitting on the swing.


Here is the view sitting on the porch.



Here's the view from the living room.


Here is the view standing in front of the big tree, 
which is what the view would be when sitting on the porch with the big tree gone.

Here is a view of the front porch from the front of the house.


As I look at these pictures, I don't think I want them gone.  I'm afraid it would look sterile.  But as far as I'm concerned, cutting them down would still be better than cutting them up.   

Opinions?   

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I think you cut them. Will you ever regret it? Think of it like a haircut you've needed for a while. It feels so good.

Misty B. said...

I think you need to start with doing something different in front of the porch! Then tackle the emotional decision of the big trees...

Linda H. said...

Big pines look beautiful when the lower branches are done away with....up about 8-10 feet. Is there a Horticulture Dept. at BYU that you could consult with about the over growth by the porch, and how to be happy with ideas you may not have considered?