Crinkled Oranges

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

I laughed to

myself when Tiffany commented about not disowning her for making her cupcakes from a mix. 

First of all, until I began my cupcake obsession, I never used anything but a mix when I made cakes.  I don't know why, but somehow in my old age, I am wanting to prove to myself that I can make things from "scratch."   I felt that way last year when I was doing my crock-pot challenge.  I really tried to avoid using cans of soup for the sauces.

I was thinking about that the other day when I was making scalloped potatoes for our neighbor, Jerry Fisher's, funeral.  Funeral potatoes made with frozen hashbrowns, cream of mushroom soup, and cheese, are a standard for funerals (around here, anyway).  I actually love them.  And they are so easy.   But I didn't want to make them.  I wanted to make authentic scalloped potatoes.

Once, many years ago, Garth Fisher (Jerry's husband) spoke to a group of us on Healthy eating and ways to cut calories in cooking.   Honestly, until then, I didn't even know there was a way to make a sauce without "cream of something" soup.  But someone asked him how to make a sauce more healthy than using canned soups, and he said to just make a little white sauce and season it how you like.  Very simple, but I had never really heard of that or done it.  I just thought you added creamed soup to anything you wanted to make a sauce with.  Anyway, I thought making scalloped potatoes with a white sauce was appropriate for Garth's wifes funeral

So, I have no guilt about using mixes, or cans, or prepackaged foods.  I've done it most my life.  I'm not a food snob at all.  In fact, anything that makes meal preparation easier is fine by me.   I think it is just kind of fun to challenge myself by making things from scratch. 

1 comment:

Misty B. said...

Lydia would love to move in with Tiff! Lyd is constantly complaining that I make too many things from scratch (the other night it was crescent rolls, last month it was brownies, and it's always pizza). I guess I must be influenced by the same vibe you are Mom. I wish I could say mine was for health--it's more of a cost or "the store is 20 miles away" issue in our house!