Crinkled Oranges

Saturday, December 8, 2012

Crackers

This has definitely been the year of the "Crackers."  It all started last spring when I went to a scrapbook warehouse sell.  I've been intrigued with crackers for years as I've seen them in Costco at Christmas.  But, I haven't been intrigued enough to buy them at the hefty price they are.   (If you're totally confused and thinking I've finally lost it and "cracked," you probably aren't far off.)

But, just to clarify, here is what kind of "cracker" I'm talking about.

"Christmas Crackers snap when you break them open, each revealing a paper crown, toy favor, and riddle."  Here's a picture of Harrison cracking one open.



Anyway, at this warehouse sale, they were selling boxes of 12 for $1.  I didn't know what I would do with them, but it was a sale, and I couldn't resist.   So I came home with boxes of these crackers.  Storing them was a little tricky, but I finally figured out how I would use them.  Each day for 6 days while we were in Orlando, everyone got to open a cracker.  That wouldn't have been so exciting, as the prizes are very strange and random, but we had also slipped money in them, too.   That was a fun way to give them their Christmas money.

A friend asked about them, and I told her I might have as many left as she needed.  But, I didn't.  So last week I went to see if the warehouse had any more.  They did, and when I asked how much they were, the guy said they were free (as they were wanting to get rid of them).  Wow, you really can't get a better deal than free!    I did feel a little embarrassed and greedy taking so many (like maybe 150), but since I was doing them a favor . . .

Can you believe I am writing a whole blog entry about crackers?  And this entry just barely cracks the surface of my latest obsession. 

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Can't wait to open our crackers :)

Tom Anderson said...

You've cracked. But, you are certainly creative. Good to have you back on the blog.

Tiffany said...

I laughed out loud! You CRACK me up!

Misty B. said...

They were a personal favorite of Marshall's. He just like cracking them so much we had to watch careful so as not to loose the money or valuable trinket! He'd crack one and be on to the next one.