Crinkled Oranges

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

I remember hearing the term

 "man cave" for the first time a few years ago.    According to the web dictionary it is:

"A man cave, sometimes a mantuary[ or manspace, is a male sanctuary, such as a specially equipped garage, spare bedroom, den, or basement. It is not a cave but rather a metaphor describing a room inside the house, such as the basement or garage or attic or office, or outside the house such as a wood shed or tool room, where "guys can do as they please" without fear of upsetting any female sensibility about house decor or design."
 
I bring it up, not because Gary has a man cave (the closest he comes is his recliner in the family room).  But, rather, because I've been literally hanging out  in my "woman cave" (aka craft room) for days at a time as I do my online work, watch TV, and otherwise pretend to get things done.  The only time I really leave it is when Gary is home because there's usually not room for both of us in here.
 
The interesting thing is that it should be very "upsetting to my female sensibility" about decor, design, tidiness, and order.  In fact, right now I'm sitting here amongst a half sewn apron, my make up bag (I usually put on my make up in here), the cricut machine, the sewing machine, 2 empty glasses, my jacket, and piles of papers I need to go through (just to name a few of the items I looking at).  
 
I think it baffles Gary that I can sit in such a mess.  It kind of baffles me, too.  I know it would baffle Mom if she were here.   
 (I'm practising living without pretending, but I won't show a picture today).
 
 
 
 

No comments: