Crinkled Oranges

Monday, February 18, 2013

We met

Charlene and Greg, Richard and Laraine, and Gary and Lynn for dinner tonight.  We always thoroughly enjoy our time together.   Charlene did make a suggestion that we should all learn sign language, and that's not a bad idea.  Another suggestion was that we could all just sit at the table and text each other.  Then we wouldn't need to worry about hearing each other.  

We all suffer from the "Hall" genetic disposition of hearing loss.  I've worn hearing aids since I was 17, and I actually needed them long before that.  Gary, Richard and Charlene didn't start to lose their hearing until middle age.   According to Tom, he hasn't lost any of his hearing, but I've heard Lynn give another opinion on that.

It can be a comedy of errors when I try to talk to Gary (my brother) on the phone. Because of his Parkinson's disease, he has difficulty projecting his voice because of the muscles in his throat. Add that with my hearing loss, and we're in trouble.    But we can laugh about it and still try to communicate.

Thank goodness for hearing aids and closed captioning. 

3 comments:

Tom Anderson said...

That was very funny. I had some really funny images come to mind. I can just see all of you texting each other except probably only one or two know how. Next time record this and put it on u-tube and it will be a hit. And, I have perfect hearing. Or, perhaps just selective. But, no texting needed. I am still laughing.

Jared said...

I think my dad's hearing is fine; his listening, on the other hand...

Unknown said...

Totally agree Jared!!!!! We did have a good laugh at that.