Crinkled Oranges

Thursday, May 16, 2013

As I was working

on the computer today, I was watching a recording of a Studio 5.  You know, the show that is my "Lifestyle Bible," so to speak.   I feel embarrassed mentioning it so much, but I guess the things they share just resonate with me.

Anyway, many women were interviewed about how they knew they were loved by their mothers. They were all small consistent things and not grand gestures. One thing said was "Her eyes light up when I walk in the room."  

I remember President Monson's daughter saying that every time she stops by her parent's house her Dad says, "Well, look who is here, and isn't she beautiful."   I remember feeling that way when I would come home when I was young, or stop by to visit Mom and Dad after I was married.   There was always the greeting and feeling that they were happy I was there.

It is easy, in the day-to-day routines of life, to forget to interact in a positive way with the people we live with or see daily.  Somewhere in the back of my mind there is a story that impacted me and has made me more aware of greeting with joy.  But, I can't remember what it is.   I guess what the story was isn't as important as if I learned anything from it.  But . . .  it is really bugging me that I can't remember.

Anyway, I'm resolving to work on this awareness   Even on days when I'm not feeling particularly cheery or am preoccupied with something.  It doesn't take a lot, really, to express with a "light in your eyes" that you are happy someone is there.    

2 comments:

Tom Anderson said...

Ok, so when I visit with you in a couple of weeks I want to be blinded by light!!!!

Misty B. said...

As your daughter I'll testify that you always have time for me and never seem too preoccupied for your grandkids!