Crinkled Oranges

Tuesday, May 7, 2013

"Bloom

and Serve" where you are planted.    I've been thinking about that today in preparation for our Relief Society Activity tonight.

The focus was on service and things we could do in our community.  The overwhelming feeling I got from it was that we can do small and simple things that can collectively add up to make a difference.  People shared how they help in the library at a school, take meals to the homeless shelter, and make a family goal of doing service once a week for a "Summer of Service."   It doesn't take much, but it does take a conscious effort.

It got me thinking about the goal I made at the first of the year to write one note a week expressing appreciation, support, encouragement, or congratulation.   It is such a small thing, and it is something I can do.  Yet, I've slowly forgotten about it.  I want to renew that effort.

Here is a little self evaluation to consider when we are thinking of how we can make a difference and  "Bloom and Serve Where We are Planted."   In other words, serve at whatever stage we are at in our lives.


Bloom Where
I’m Planted

What can I give?
(think of how much
and how often)

I can give time _________________

I can give materials and resources  ____________________

I can give money _______________

I can give a visit  ______________   

I can listen  ___________________

I can make phone calls __________

I can prepare meals  ____________

I can share talents/skills _________

Music _______________________ 

Artistic skills __________________

Literacy (reading, writing)?  ______

Construction or repairs   _________

Crafts  _______________________

Sewing ______________________

Other Hobbies  ________________

Yard/Housekeeping ____________

Other   _______________________

I can serve at home ___ Outside the home _____  On the Go _________

2 comments:

Tom Anderson said...

Very good list that starts a needed "self-examination".

Misty B. said...

I think you could write Bunny Hollow next to each of those and call your service for the year done!