Crinkled Oranges

Thursday, October 17, 2013

This has been

a week of movies.  We went to two movies over Fall Break and one tonight.  I liked the movie, Gravity, as the filming of space was beautiful.  But, much of the dialogue was done while in space suits, so I wasn't able to understand a lot of it because I couldn't read their lips and it was muffled.   It helped when they spoke in Russian or Chinese. Not, of course, because I understood it, but because then there were subtitles.  

Tonight we went to the Saratov Approach with Gary and Lynn.  It was very well done and was of special interest to us, as it was about Mormon missionaries who were kidnapped in Russia in 1998.  I vaguely remember when it happened.  

I read some articles about the making of the movie, which was interesting in and of itself.   After they were released by the kidnappers, the missionaries went on with their lives and had not been in contact since then. When they were interviewed for the movie, they independently shared the exact same memories.  Since that time, they have met each other's families and are very close.  The movie was very real and very inspiring.    

2 comments:

nanabarbar said...

I remember those missionaries! I thought then as I do now that with all the prayers of loved ones, Ward members, GA's & a Prophet along with every faithful member of the church, how could it have turned out any differently ??? I can't wait to see both movies but I wouldn't even try a theater, I'll wait for the DVD & CC!!!

Unknown said...

I loved Gravity and now want to see the movie about the man who was kidnapped as a slave...can't remember the name right now. The shower that you and Natalie did looks great.