Crinkled Oranges

Thursday, November 7, 2013

Organizing

I was talking to Misty today, and I told her that I had been in the "Deep" seeking inspiration.  She asked if I normally got inspiration down in the deep.  I told her that I get anything but inspiration there, especially when it is as cluttered as it is.  What I was seeking was the inspiration to toss and throw away.

Here is something I ran across that brought back a few memories.   This is a picture from a program that was put together for our new Stake Center dedication in 1990.  

Gary was called as Bishop of Edgemont 16 Ward in March of 1987.  To say it was a shock, is an understatement.   We had only lived here a couple of years and the Bishop hadn't been in that long.   But, Bishop Backman was called into the Stake Presidency on a Saturday, and we got a call early on Sunday morning asking Gary to come into an interview, in an hour, with Elder Paul Dunn.

While on the phone, Gary remembers asking then outgoing Stake President Glazier, "Are you sure that you have the right Gary?" President Glazier responded, "Gary Ashton, Edgemont 16th Ward?" Gary replied, with a bit of fear and trepidation, "Yeah, that's me." President Glazier answered with a chuckling voice, "Ok we'll see you and your wife in an hour" Gary has mentioned on occasion that some people acknowledge they knew they were going to be called to a church position.   Gary, on the other hand, maintains he has never been more shocked and surprised of anything in his life.

Gary always claims that I accepted for him, because he was so shocked at the call that he couldn't answer and was stammering and stuttering.  He finally said, "I don't know, Elder Dunn (who had been a professional baseball player) that's a real curve ball."   Elder Dunn replied, "Well, it's over the plate, isn't it."   I admit, I finally did say, "Yes, he can do it."

We went home and called Mom and Dad and Gary's Mom to come up to Stake Conference that morning to be there when he was sustained.   He didn't have time to call counselors or anything, but later that week he called Garth Fisher and Gary Roylance as his counselors.   He looks back now and realizes how "green" he was and was grateful for those who served with him.

A little personal side note that I remember from that day was something Dad said.  I can still see so clearly him walking out the side door in the kitchen, handing me $20, and saying "You'll need that for all the cookies you'll be making."


3 comments:

Unknown said...

What a great walk down memory lane. Thanks for sharing.

Tom Anderson said...

Love that story, thanks. Gary would have been a great Bishop and I am sure Dad owes you more money, that he would be happy to pay.

Tiffany said...

I love hearing that story. I really don't think I've ever heard it before. . I was just a self absorbed child I guess! Thanks for sharing. He was a great Bishop and you were a great Bishops wife. And I think I was a good Bishops daughter cutting and wrapping all that fudge for tithing settlement! :)