Crinkled Oranges

Thursday, August 27, 2015

It's been

quite a day for someone (me) who is not good with driving, following maps, or with directions.  My cousin on my Mom's side (Hall), Robin, passed away on Sunday from cancer.  Her funeral was today in Ogden.   I picked Gary and Richard up and Charlene and Greg met us there.  

We have all had a very close relationship with our Hall cousins, and just about all of us were there today. It is really quite amazing that until Robin, only one other cousin, Wally, has passed away.   The oldest of us is in his early eighties and the youngest is close to 60.  Of the 24 grandchildren of Edward Owen and Pearl Averett Hall, there were 21 of us there. There is a lot of love shared.

Something else almost all of us share is extreme hearing loss.  There is obviously a very genetic component about it.  Two of my cousins have had cochlear implants in the last 10 years and most all of us wear hearing aids.  My hearing loss was evident from childhood, but most of them started needing hearing aids later in their 30's and 40's.  I was chuckling today, as I was driving Gary and Richard (who also have hearing aids), that it was a little bit like the deaf leading the deaf (as opposed to the blind leading the blind).  For me, trying to hear what they were saying as we discussed where to go and such, was pretty much impossible. I rely so much on reading lips, which is a little difficult when you are driving and the background noise in a car. I'm just so grateful that I live in this time of amazing hearing aids that allow us to connect with each other.












After the funeral and luncheon I dropped Richard off in Salt Lake and my brother Gary off at home and picked up Lynn and Gary (husband) to go to the Springville cemetery for the burial.


 I feel so blessed by family.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great post and funny. I can imagine the 3 of you in the car.