Crinkled Oranges

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

All about

Toes.

I was going to post a picture of these yesterday.


Betsy, my hairstylist, gave me a free pedicure and "trendy big toe" certificate for Christmas.  So I had it done yesterday.

But, when I got home, we got a text from Misty saying that Jackson had gotten a bone infection in his middle left toe.  Apparently he had broken it last week when he stubbed it.  It got progressively more painful and he had a red line running up his leg.  When they took him into the urgent care, the Dr. said that the nail bed had pushed into the bone and they would have to do surgery and go in and treat the infection. Then he would have to stay in the hospital for 2 days while they test to see what kind of infection it is and treat it properly.   Then he will be on IV antibiotics for two weeks.

Wow, all that from a stubbed toe.  

We've been joking with him about it, but I have to say that as a grandmother I wanted to hop on a plane and be with him.  And I've been nervous all day.  But all went well, and Dan sent us this picture of him with a remote in one hand and eating dinner with the other.



So far he said the worst part is having to wear the "dress" in the hospital.  It gave me the idea that instead of giving matching pajamas next Christmas, that I'll make matching "dresses" for the boys.  He was just about as thrilled with that idea as he was with the matching pajamas.

We joke and make funny comments, but I'm just very grateful that medical science is such that they can pick up on these things and treat them quickly.  In the old days, this would have been treated by cutting the infection out and possible amputation.   So, I'm feeling very grateful right now.

I'm also wondering how in the world Jackson is going to stay still for 2 days! 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Good luck Jackson!!!!!

Tom Anderson said...

Him sitting still, in a dress, for two days does not fit my picture of him at all. Good luck to him, and you.