Crinkled Oranges

Saturday, April 7, 2012

The Marilyn

Method.  Tonight is the first time I've heard that term. 

We went to dinner with Natalie and Trent and got into a discussion about customer support, which Natalie does on the phone and through messaging, and which a deal with a little bit in emails.  We were discussing how, even in emails and messaging, you can tell what someone's attitude is by how they write, and many times don't write, in their messages.  With some people you can just tell that they need to be in charge, be right, or come across as the more knowledgeable one. 

As we were talking, Natalie told about a work associate that she deals with only in messaging (she is in another state).  This work associate is usually very rude and has a know-it-all attitude toward Natalie in her messages.  Natalie has talked with a friend at work about how obnoxious this person is.  So she was very surprised when she observed her friend's messages with this same woman. 

First of all, Nat said that this friend is very intelligent and knowledgeable.  Yet in his messaging to that associate, he wrote like he was helpless and didn't know what to do.  Nat was even more surprised when this rude associate responded back to her friend with all sorts of help and smiley faces in her message.   When she expressed her disbelief to him, he told her that uses the "Marilyn Method," with that associate. 

It took us a minute to realize that the "Marilyn Method," was penned after Marilyn Monroe.   I don't know if Marilyn Monroe was or acted  helpless, but there were certainly a lot of men who were ready to be with her (and come to her rescue?)

 Interesting approach.  I think we all use that method at times (that is if we can put our pride aside). I've just never looked at, our thought of it, as a "method." 

 Hmm.  I think I may use the Marilyn Method a little more with Gary.  

I'll let you know how it goes.

3 comments:

Tom Anderson said...

Interesting. I considered whether I ever got that method tried on me. Lynn certainly doesn't try it. If anythink, I use it on her to no avail. But, I think many men like a vunerable woman as it makes them feel strong etc. Let me know how it goes!!!

Misty B. said...

That's the kind of discussion I'm ready for next week!

Unknown said...

You have to see the movie "My Week with Marily," and you can become an expert. I am sure Gary will be susceptible.