Crinkled Oranges

Sunday, April 1, 2012

Advice in

two words.  Sometimes that is the advice we remember the most. 

When Spencer W. Kimball was President of the church his motto was "Do It."   It covers a broad range of things.  Things we put off and say we will do later.  Changes we need to make in ourselves.  Doing what we know is right even when we don't want to.  It adds a little more punch if you add one more word, "Just Do IT."  Sometimes that is the very hardest thing for me to do, as I can usually find plenty of excuses not to.

Today in General Conference, President Uchtdorf spoke of jealously, envy, gossip,  revenge, judgment, contention, and criticism.  His two word solution was, "Stop It."   Of course he spoke more eloquently and gave examples of how we can do that.  But to just mentally say to ourselves, "Stop it," when we start going down the road of negativity,  judgement, and tearing others down, can be pretty effective. 

So, "Do It," and "Stop It." pack a lot of punch.   Now I just hope that I don't get confused and say "Do It" when I should be saying "Stop It" and vice versa.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

We actually teach a class at work about this subject....

Also interesting if you compare your blog to my latest...

Tom Anderson said...

Make up your mind. Do I "do it" or "stop it". I am confused!!

Tiffany said...

I've already had to use the advice "Stop it!" when I was starting to get really bugged by something! It's a great two word reminder!