Crinkled Oranges

Saturday, March 12, 2011

BYU Basketball

highs and lows.  It's been so fun to watch the BYU basketball games this year.  I wonder how many little boys born this year are going to be named "JIMMER," after Jimmer Fredette?  He has really earned a near rock star status this year with his amazing playing.   I hope he can go on and do well in the pros.

We watched the game tonight up at Charlene and Greg's along with Richard and Laraine and Gary and Lynn.  We had such a nice time.  BYU got creamed, which was sad.  But, it's pretty hard for a team to maintain the intensity they had last night when Jimmer scored 52 points.   I'm proud of the BYU players and coaches and how they have handled the honor code suspension of one of their best players.  They've done it with love and, well, honor.   The whole thing has, I think, brought the best out in people all over the country as they've analyzed, questioned, and supported the right to honor the honor code.   And, I feel a great love for the young man who has faced up to his mistake and is moving forward.  

4 comments:

Tom Anderson said...

Why were we not invited? Am I the black sheep? Do I even belong to your family? How rude!!! And, I am jealous.

Jimmer is so fun to watch with all his many moves. Watching BYU basketball will never be the same.

And, yes, I think the honor code violation was handled very well by all. However, BYU chose Principle over expediency, and who does that???JK

Tom Anderson said...

I need to apologize for my last comment--we were invited, BY MISTAKE!! Charlene sent the invitation to Lynn Anderson, and she received it at her work here in Modesto, at Downey High school. Problem was, it was inadvertantly sent as it shoud have gone to the Lynn Anderson in Provo. Charlene apologized for her error. I feel better now.

Misty B. said...

Lately Harrison,6, has been very passionate about wearing his BYU garb so that he can be Jimmer! And, for the first time ever Dan called into our St. Louis talk radio station--He wanted to defend BYU and the honor code. He was actually on the air and was able to change the host's tone toward the Honor code considerably.

Unknown said...

Tom, I was going to correct you but I am glad that you found your mistake. It was actually a very fun mistake when your Lynn responded to my email about dinner. I told her, of course you are invited too and wish you could make it.