Crinkled Oranges

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

I was watching

the show, "Hoarders" as I was doing doc management work tonight.  It is unbelievable and scary when you see how they live.  It makes you wonder how someone gets into such a situation.  Yet, at the same time, I can kind of understand how they do.  Once it gets out of control, they feel overwhelmed.  And, as contrary as it may sound, many times the hoarder is a perfectionist.  I can't even begin to get into the psychological aspects of why, but it's apparent that it's not about the stuff.   It's about control,  filling a void, and a host of other emotions. 

I guess it fascinates (and stresses) me when I see the difficulty they are having because I can relate a little too much.   Watching the show actually affects me physically.  My chest tightens and I feel anxiety for them.  I am far from being a hoarder, but I can certainly understand their emotions.   Anyone who reads this blog knows of my "deep" decluttering issues.  And that is more than a play on words.

So, watching "Hoarders" is very thought provoking for me.  And motivating.  And stressful.  For that reason I don't think I'll watch it too often.  It just might give me nightmares.

3 comments:

Gary said...

Maybe we could DVR "all" the Hoarder episodes so we don't miss any and you can watch them as emotions permit :-)

Becky said...

I love and hate to watch Hoarders. It fascinates me because the people are just crazy. But it gives me anxiety because I can't stand messes.
I would say that you are a collector, not even close to a Hoarder.

Tom Anderson said...

Why watch it at all?