Crinkled Oranges

Monday, March 28, 2011

Trust

and two year olds. 

I've been thinking about that a lot this week.

I remember a Sunday school teacher once calling and asking me to share my thoughts on what it means to be "childlike."  She meant it in the context of what we read in the scriptures about the need to be like a little child in order to enter the the Kingdom of Heaven.

I've sometimes been puzzled by that, actually.  As you observe small children, they are often grabbing what they want, hitting, and pushing, etc.  (Unfortunately, we can also observe that in adults who haven't learned to control their behavior).

But the meaning of it has become more clear to me this last week with Lucienne, who is two.  She got an earache right before I came out and Tiffany took her to the doctor.  So every morning and night I have had to give her medicine with a syringe.   The first few days she would just say, "Don't need medicine."  But gradually she has gotten to the point where, when she sees me filling the syringe, she stands there and watches and waits as I do it.  Then I set her on the counter, cradle her in my arms, and hold her down.  She always starts fighting and tries to spit it out, but once it's done she sits up and is happy again.

A couple of times she has also come to me with hang nails.  Obviously Tiffany clips them with a nail clipper, as she brings one to me.  I don't want to clip them, because I'm afraid I'll hurt her.  But she totally trusts me to do it.  She's obviously learned that trust.

So, when I think of these experiences with Luci, it reminds me of what it means to be childlike in our relationship with our Father in Heaven.  We may try to put up a fight, or cry, or become angry with the way things seem to be in our lives or the lives of others.   But through it all, we can know that we are in good hands and can trust that everything will be ok. 

Can there be anything sweeter than a two year old?  I wish I could bottle up her sweetness, trust, and  joyful attitude, and take it (or her) home with me. 

5 comments:

Tom Anderson said...

There may be two comments by me as I did one then lost it. Nice story about trust in others and the Lord. You have earned their trust by the way you treat them and by your kindness. To me, trust and faith are the same thing. Hope you are having a great time

Linda Henrichsen said...

As little children, I shared a room with my sister Debbie. After prayers and lights were out for the night, her little voice would say, "Twust in da Lowd, and don't be afwaid." I'm not sure if it was to share with me, or convince herself that all was well. You are such a wonderful Grandma!

Angie Crompton Murphy said...

Annette-
Diddo previous comments. You are a wonderful Grandma. With that in mind- I have a two year old you can take home. Just let me know when would be a good time......

Glad you're having fun.

Angie

Misty B. said...

I agree with Angie and I have a one year old that would be a good substitute for a 2yr old. He's good, except when he's screaming.

Tiffany said...

Well, she does adore and trust you. thursday night I told her it was time to go to bed and brush her teeth and she said "And me no more medicine, Grandma gone." She calls me "Grandma" 50% of the time now! They miss you! It's fun to look at your blog and see you in my life. Thanks again!