Crinkled Oranges

Monday, March 14, 2011

Orange Chicken Sauce

Yesterday I wanted to make some Orange Chicken sauce to go with some chicken and stir fry vegetables.  Last time I used a pre-made sauce, it had sunflower oil in it, and Nalalie is allregic to that.  So I tried this sauce, and it was really good.  I didn't have any green onions, so used onion flakes.  I also didn't have water chestnuts, but it worked just fine.  I will be making this one again.

Orange Chicken Sauce

1 1/2 cups water
2 Tablespoons orange juice
1 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/3 cup rice vinegar
2 1/2 Tablespoons soy sauce
1/4 cup plus 1 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp minced water chestnuts
1/2 tsp minced fresh ginger
1/4 tsp minced garlic
1 rounded tsp chopped green onion
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
10 tsp cornstarch
4 1/2 Tablespoons water
In a saucepan over medium-high heat, combine all of the sauce ingredients, except the cornstarch, arrowroot and 4 1/2 Tbsp water. Stir often while bringing mixture to a boil. When sauce reaches a boil, remove it from heat.  In a small bowl combine cornstarch and 4 1/2 Tablespoons of cool water. Stir until cornstarch has dissolved. Pour this mixture into the sauce and set the pan over high heat. When sauce begins to bubble and thicken, cover and remove it from heat.

Pour sauce over chicken or rice. This makes a lot of sauce.

1 comment:

Nat said...

It was very Yummy, and didn't make my tongue swell and my throat close up!