Crinkled Oranges

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

A few of the cakes from our

 Relief Society Activity last night.



Unfortunately, I got busy and didn't get pictures of the 6 others. 
 But they were beautiful and delicious. 

One of our committee members, Helen, has a brother who is an architect and restorer. When they were restoring The Salt Lake LDS Temple, some pieces of Granite were removed.   The church did not want them for any reason, so they kept some and documented where they were from.  Helen hammered some bigger stones into small pieces, and that is what we gave as favors for the evening.

We attached the stones to a small card


and put the documentation inside of the card.



And put them in a sack with rock candy
and a poem written by Sarah, another committee member.


It's kind of special to have a piece of granite stone from a historic temple that has played a big part in the foundation of our lives.  I was sealed to my parents and family in the Salt Lake Temple on May 31, 1955, when I was 18 months old (I don't remember that).  Gary's Mom and Dad were also sealed sealed in the Salt Lake Temple May 8, 1939.  Gary and I were sealed in the Salt Lake Temple on August 8, 1974 (I do remember that).

Shown here with the spires in the background, with my sister, Charlene.
(Don't worry, as comfortable as Gary looks with his arms around both
of us, polygamy has not been sanctioned for more than a century) 
Shown here on the steps of the temple.
Don't be too alarmed by Gary's red checked polyester pants.
It was the seventies, you know.


5 comments:

Misty B. said...

Yes, it was the 70's but how many people do you know who actually wore them at their wedding? Lydia and I were just discussing Grandpa's fashion sense the other day. She's wondering if she comes out for the 4th of July if Grandpa will wear his "candy striper" shorts!?

Denise said...

That makes me want to bake a cake! By the way, I made your orange chicken recipe last night and we loved it, thank you! I've tried several orange chicken recipes that have never turned out like I thought they would......yours did not disappoint! :)

Unknown said...

POlygamy...not a bad idea :)

Gary said...

Nothing wrong with my fashion sense that another decade or two won't solve!

Gary said...

Who knows, maybe polygamy will come back into vogue about the same time my checkered, polyester pants do.