Crinkled Oranges

Sunday, November 13, 2011

Is this

my Mom, Charlet Hall Anderson,
or not? 
 Yes ____
No ____

What is your vote?

I got a call from my cousin, Stanley, yesterday morning.   I was sure someone had died and that he was calling to give me the news.  He mentioned that he didn't think he had ever called me on the phone before, but wondered if I had seen a picture of Mom that is in the mall.  He said that Nancy, his wife, had seen it in the Forever XXI store and had taken him to see it.  They were sure it had to be Mom.  He explained that it is a picture of people riding bicycles in some kind of parade and that it is a continuous and repeating mural.  He described where to go in the store to see it.

So, Gary and I went out.  I spotted her (or her double) in a second.   It seemed surreal. 

Here is a wider view.


 and a wider view,


 and an even wider view (far left).


All logic tells me that it isn't Mom.  First of all, I can't imagine her riding a bike in a parade.  But, I could be wrong.  Stanley said he wondered if the picture might be from the archives of Springville City. 

I would judge the woman in the mural to be somewhere in her 40's.  Just as a point of reference, here is a closeup of Mom from my wedding, when she was 58.  (Now that seems surreal, too, since I'll be 58 in another month.)   




Let's just say, if someone had given me a copy of the picture shown in the mural, I would have picked Mom out right away.  But, in this setting, I'm not so sure.  That's why I'm putting out a call to all people who knew Mom.  Is it or isn't it her?   What do you think?

(Either way, it's pretty amazing)  



6 comments:

Jared Anderson said...

Yes ___

No _X_

Tom Anderson said...

Tom Anderson says "No". There are similarities, but the mouth is not hers. But, a very close resemblance.

Steph, Bryce, Andie, Bree, and Zoe said...

I agree with my dad... the mouths are too different, but everything else is very similar

Tiffany said...

No, not her. But very similar! That would be quite hilarious if it was her.

Misty B. said...

I vote no also. It's very similar, yes. But there are suttle differences. And I agree that I don't think Grandma would have ridden in a parade, in pants no less. I saw her in slacks on very rare occasions. Now, if the rider had been in a mumu I might change my vote!

Cora Murphy said...

I agree with everyone. Ken's favorite quote of Grandmas is that "you never go in the desert if there's a cloud in the sky". I don't think that same person is on the bike with pants on. But maybe they photoshopped it :}