Crinkled Oranges

Sunday, November 20, 2011

It's been a good

day.

We started out by going to the temple.  Then we went to Maglebys for breakfast (buttermilk syrup, YEAH).  Then we came home and I worked on organizing "the deep" for almost 4 hours (yes, I was organizing it again). 

As I was doing that, I thought a lot about Dad.  When we moved into this house, the 4th level was unfinished.  Dad custom built all the shelving in the part that is storage area (aka "The Deep"). Then he custom built the table that runs down the middle of it.  He made drawers and shelves and large slots for poster boards underneath the table.   He also created a pull down bar that holds wrapping paper and ribbons.  If you could imagine it, Dad could create it.

I guess I go into these details, because it helps explain Dad's personality.  He wasn't a big talker -- he let Mom do that.  But he listened.  And, as he listened, you could almost see the wheels turning in his head.  The wheels would turn as he thought about ways he could "custom" fulfill your desires and needs.   My home is full of reminders of that.

Anyway, once I had the space all cleared and everything put away, it was pure joy wrapping the wedding gift for the reception we went to tonight.  Sometimes I get so accustomed to the many blessings I have surrounding me, that I forget to appreciate them.  
 

1 comment:

Tom Anderson said...

Well said. I felt the same sense of gratitude yesterday when I was looking at the backyard. Some days I don't even look at it. How sad when we do not appreciate what we have because we get too busy. You should spend more time in your "deep" if it gives you that sense of appreciation!!!