Crinkled Oranges

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

My brother,

Gary, has been wanting to get together with Kay and Maisel, our cousins that live down the street from me.  Our fathers, Golden and Arch, were brothers.  Since I was feeling a little more free and easy (with our RS activity from last night over with), I called them up and arranged it.  It is always fun to get together with them. 

The conversation turned to attitudes about speaking your mind, being yourself, and not worrying about what other's think.  Kay said her Mom, Aunt Melba, drilled into her mind the phrase, "You're as good as any and better than most."   I think I've heard a similar phrase before, but hearing it in this context was very interesting to me.  Basically it's saying, "Don't let anybody put you down."

It reminded me of a comment I heard "Jimmer" Fredette give this last mother's day.  He was being interviewed and was basically asked how his mom raised him to be such a nice guy.  His response was something to the effect that she would tell him, "You're not that special."    That seems to come out as being negative, but he was complimenting her for keeping him grounded.  She was basically saying, You're good, but don't think you're any better than others because of it."

Those two phrases, while they seem to be espousing opposite points of view, go hand in hand to me.  They emphasize the two extremes of emotions that we as humans tend to feel -- inadequacy and superiority.  I know I'm guilty of both sometimes.  Once we start comparing our thoughts, accomplishments, weaknesses, and strengths with others, it is easy to make judgments. 

So, when I'm feeling inadequate, I'll say to myself, "You're as good as any and better than most."  When I'm feeling like I've done something better than someone else, I'll say to myself, "You're not that special."

2 comments:

Chantel said...

I loved this! Absolutely brilliant--although difficult to find that balance. Grounded....isn't that the goal of all of our parenting?

Tom Anderson said...

Very good. I am going to use that in my Gospel Doctrine class regarding feeling we are special, and better than others, as those in Phillipi were thinking at the time (because of their linage back to Abraham).