Crinkled Oranges

Thursday, December 15, 2011

I'm feeling

a deep sadness right now.  I just got off the phone with my sister-in-law Lynn.  My oldest brother, Gary, is in the University hospital.  They've determined that he has a form of Parkinsons called Lewy Body.  They think he may have reacted adversely to a drug he started last week, and that it may have triggered this episode of confusion and dementia like symptoms.  When we stopped by last night to see him, he seemed to know us but was definitely not himself.   They expect that he will improve some, but they have told them not to expect that he will get completely better, as it is a degenerative disease.  Lynn is such a positive person, and she said that while it is not what she wanted to hear, that they will be fine.  She said when she asks Gary if he is happy, he says, "Yes, I'm very happy."    I'm so glad their son, Cory, drove in yesterday, as he is a big support to Lynn.  Gary will probably come home tomorrow or Saturday.

So, I'm very stressed and sad about that.  I'm also distressed about a fall that my friend had.  I had just dropped her off from a luncheon, and as I was getting back into my car, she fell.  She had to go to the emergency room and get stitches.  I feel so badly that I didn't walk her all the way into the house.

And I'm stressed about a Skype video call with "Studio 5" tomorrow.  You know that show I get so many good ideas from?   Well, they have "happy home" segments, and they ask viewers to send in pictures of things they do to make their homes a happy place.  I was on their website a few days ago and decided to send in a picture of the "Candy Store."    A little while later I got a call from the producer saying they would be interested in having me talk about it on a video call.  I wasn't expecting that.  I thought they might share the idea on the show, but not the video part.  Anyway, she called tonight and asked if we could do it tomorrow.   I'm afraid I will freeze up and be tongue tied.   But, I guess the only thing I can really do is make a fool of myself.  And, on a scale of 1 to 10 (in comparison to the other problems I've been writing about) that is just a 1.  

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Greg and I saw Gary yesterday and it broke my heart. To see our oldest, intelligent, articulate brother this way was more than I could take. I will say however he was entertaining. The last couple of things he said before we left were, "I am God," and "I am the Prophet Joseph Smith." The wonderful thing is he kept saying he was seeing Chuck. He also kept saying that he was a billion years old. The nurse said, "Well this morning you said you were a million years old, how did get so much older so fast." And he said, "I age well." That was incredible.

I will have to record Studio 5. You will do awesome and the Candy Store deserves the attention. Love ya.

Tom Anderson said...

That is really upsetting. Charlene is so correct. He has always been articulate and made so much sense. It does sound as if he is happy, however. Please keep me informed. Hopefully, he will improve more than anticipated.

Lynn said...

Great Job Annette! I looked it up today and we got to watch you. It's such a great idea!!

the smiths said...

I loved your segment Annette. Great Job! My kids watched it too and can't believe that you and Eliza are famous:). They, also, can't wait to come to the store.