Crinkled Oranges

Sunday, December 11, 2011

The other morning,

I tuned into a segment of "Fresh Take" on BYU television.   I didn't see the beginning of it, but it was a discussion on employment and finding a job that is fulfilling.   

The moderator suggested that you remember back to your first happy childhood memory.  Once you identify the memory, then to ask yourself  how and why it made you feel happy.  He suggested that if you ask yourself the right questions, and answer thoughtfully, that you will not only discover what type of job will bring you fulfillment, but also discover what drives you -- or your  personal purpose.   An interesting idea. 

I thought back to one of my first happy memories.   I remember sitting in the chapel of our 19th ward church and listening to the mission farewell of one of my brothers.  I'm not sure if it was Gary or Richard's farewell, but I remember feeling so proud and happy as my brothers spoke from the pulpit.   When I ask myself why I felt happiness, I suppose the answer is that I felt a sense of belonging and of being a part of a loving family.  I probably didn't identify it as such at the time, but I'm sure I was also feeling inspired by, and felt, God's love.   

Perhaps this little thought exercise has some merit to it.  Trying to create that feeling, for myself and others, really does bring me fulfillment.  Maybe that's why I love being a mom and grandma so much.  As far as employment goes, though, I've always gone in the direction of secretarial and business.  Maybe in my next job, I should look in other directions.

Give the little experiment a try.  It is quite enlightening.

 

4 comments:

Misty B. said...

I remember organizing my purses...what does that say about me?

Tom Anderson said...

That seems consistent with your personality, which is to find delight in the happiness of others and sharing it with them--a very good trait. I think you like to nurture. Nursing, teaching the young, caring for the old, and caring for your brother who falls down stairs are good employment areas I think you would enjoy.

Angie Crompton Murphy said...

I remember raiding your food pantry....... What does that say about me!

Angie Crompton Murphy said...

I remember raiding your food pantry....... What does that say about me!