Crinkled Oranges

Thursday, March 22, 2012

It's funny how

food can bring back memories.  I was reading a cooking column in the Herald that gave a recipe for a Cream of Chicken Soup.  I probably wouldn't have cut it out, but at the bottom it said "Adapted from a recipe from the now-closed Bill and Iva's Cafe in Orem.

That took me back to sitting at a table there with the family when I was a little girl.   We didn't eat out at sit-down restaurants a lot as a family in the younger years,  but that is one place we went.  And, I loved the soup. 

So the next day I made it.  And it tasted just like I remembered.  I was feeling so nostalgic about it that  at the last minute, I called and invited Gary and Lynn to come join us. 


Here is the recipe for anyone that has the same memories I do.  Or for anyone who wants to try a good soup.

Cream of Chicken Soup

2 Tablespoons chopped onion
4 Tablespoons chopped celery

1 Tablespoon butter
1 quart chicken stock
1 Tablespoon chicken bouillon
1 Cup grated carrots
1 1/2 cups grated potatoes
2 Tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1/2 cup water
1 1/2 cups cooked, diced chicken
1 can milk

Saute, but don't brown,the onions and celery in butter.  Add and boil 30 minutes the stock, bouillon, carrots and potatoes.  Make a smooth paste of the flour, cornstarch, and water.  Add into the soup, stirring well.  Simmer 5 minutes.  Add chicken and milk and heat through.  Do not boil.

Very easy.  Enjoy! 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I remember we would go there on Sundays after church. I don't remember the soup, but I do remember the tradition. We also went to someplace in Heber once in a while when it was a special occassion. Thanks for the memory.

Tom Anderson said...

Nice memories. Thanks.