Crinkled Oranges

Monday, March 4, 2013

It is heartwarming

to watch families as they come to the church house to clean.   The last few years it has been the responsibility of the members to clean their meetinghouses.  Every time it has been our assignment, there have been families with little children there helping.  Tonight I saw a little 2 to 3 year old with a towel wiping things down.  The time before that there was a family with 5 children and the mom was carrying her baby in a sling while they cleaned.   I can't think of a better way to teach kids about respect and service. I'm sure they are not always happy to be there (as I'm not either), but it creates a great feeling of community and responsibility.

Gary and I were assigned the windows, inside and out.  We did them at the same time and would make a point of knocking on the window if we saw a spot that the other had missed.





It made me wonder a little about how retirement might be.     Hmm. . .

2 comments:

Tom Anderson said...

Retirement could be interesting !!!!!

Tiffany said...

I think it is a memory my kids will always have of their childhood--cleaning the church on Saturday mornings and going for donuts. I can guess which part they enjoy more, but they are actually pretty great cleaners (at the church) too!