Crinkled Oranges

Thursday, January 8, 2015

78th Wedding Anniversary

for Mom and Dad.  I wish there were pictures, but there aren't any that I've ever seen. They went to Salt Lake with my grandparents and were married at the Salt Lake County Courthouse,  If I remember their history right, they then headed to Pittsburg, California, where Dad sought out a job at United States Steel.



Mom's father (my grandfather) was a General Foreman at the United States Steel Ironton plant (on the old road from Provo to Springville).  I remember Mom and Dad saying that it was because of his recommendation that Dad was able to go to the front of the line and get a job in Pittsburg.  This was during the depression when many men were out of work and the line for laborers was long, so they felt blessed in that regard.

Interestingly (or is it serendipity), my nephew Cory (Gary and Lynn's son) is now the General Legal Counsel for the USS Pittsburg plant.  Here is Dad, a ranch boy from McKinnon, Wyoming, and his grandson from Piedmont, California, whose lives mesh in USS Pittsburg 40 years apart.  There is something very sweet about that to me.



No comments: