Crinkled Oranges

Sunday, March 15, 2015

Apparently there

were a few "twirlers" in the choir, but I didn't see them from where I was sitting. Gary was very happy to hear that there were at least a few children who think like him.

What I saw and heard were beautiful children singing with all their hearts.   I snapped these pictures at the rehearsal.






Here is a funny story that I've been smiling about all day.

Right before it started, we and the children were in another room having a snack. Gary arrived in the chapel, and was sitting on the front row waiting for me.  He started talking to Mark, the pianist, who had been at all the rehearsals. Mark has not seen Gary for a long time, and he asked what he was up to.  Gary responded that he was just sitting there waiting for his wife, who was helping with the choir. Mark then realized I was Gary's wife and said "Oh, your wife is the gopher."

Gary told me what he said, and it made me laugh.  Then he said he hoped that didn't make me feel badly.  I assured him that I was more than happy to be known as the "gopher," especially when it had anything to do with music.

Just for fun I looked up the definition of a gopher in The Urban Dictionary.
:
"A low-ranking employee who is made to do the bidding of their superiors. So-called because they are often running around doing various small tasks."

Well, I don't relate at all to being low ranking employee or presidency member. In fact, I feel very loved and appreciated for what I contribute.  That is the beauty of it.  When we serve, we all take different roles at different times, depending on the needs and the gifts and abilities we have.

In the case of the choir, I was more than comfortable with "running around and doing various small tasks," when that is the way I can best help.

On the other hand, our next big assignment is to do the decorations and food for the Woman's meeting at the end of March.   I'm much more comfortable taking a leading role in that.  In fact, I'm already planning to have a "trial run" of  some of the decorations for Natalie and Trent's wedding.   Now that sounds fun.

As one of the songs they sang today goes:

We are cov’nant children with a gift to give.
We will teach the gospel by the way we live.
With each word and action, we will testify:
We believe, and we serve Jesus Christ.





 




No comments: